Tuff Country Lift - The Voyage Home

From: Angelo, Tony (Tony_Angelo@afcc.com)
Date: Fri Jul 02 1999 - 10:08:07 EDT

Went to have the Goodyear MTs installed and YIKES! There was a Grand Canyon
between the lugs. No way. I still gotta ride to and from work on the
highway. So I head over to Discount Tire and they fit me with a set of the
new BFG AT KOs (and give me $50 trade on each of the stock tires). Looks
awesome. Stands way tall. Rides way awesome. A little harder than stock
(the add-a-leafs at work), but still corners pretty flat and soaks up the
bumps much better than stock. Don't know if that's the shocks or the extra
sidewall. Doesn't feel top heavy at all. The BFG are 50 times quieter than
the stock Wranglers, and they don't bark going around corners in the rain.
A little potential for tire rubbing on a hard turn if the suspension is
compressed, but the surface is rolled edge, smooth steel so the tire
wouldn't be hurt, and lock to lock in the flat parking lot cleared fine.

I'm on vacation for the next two weeks, so I'll be able to "try out" the
lift and tires (and my K&N FIPK!!) and take some pictures. Of course, I
need to figure out where to post 'em - I write software for a living, so
I've never had the ambition to set up a web page after work. I guess I
could e-mail 'em to any of y'all that are interested (seems to be a small
group).

Costs of this adventure:
Lift Kit $1274, delivered (three times!), with shocks
Lift Install $ 950, still waiting for Tuff Country to kick-in some $$
since they had two chances and still failed to send complete instructions
and all of the hardware (ever try tracking down huge Grade 5 bolts in the
middle of nowhere?). This was supposed to be $600 tops!
Tires(5) $ 517, mounted, balanced, road hazard, with trade

I bought this truck for $1270 UNDER INVOICE after rebate and the free Magnum
V-8 offer (didn't spend 3 years as the Computer Guy in a dealership for
nuthin'), but I think I've made it to full sticker price now. That's OK,
it's won me over - I LOVE MY DAK!

PS - Sending the Jacobs back. To hell with 'em.

Tony Angelo
'99 Solar Yellow Sport, CC, Full Time 4X4, Black Bed Rail/Light Bar/Round
Lights , Black Grill/Brush Guard, Tuff Country 5.5" Lift, 33X12.5 BF
Goodrich AT KOs on the stock wheels