Re: truck does not start

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Jul 06 1999 - 18:45:16 EDT

At 03:34 PM 7/6/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I have a 97 Dakota cc 4X4 and the problem is it would not start, when I
>put the key in and go for a start, it started up the first couple of
>times but it would quickly stall, putter out and stall that is. try a
>couple of more tries but now would just crank over, let it rest for a
>while and try it again go for a start same thing starts and then quickly
>putters out and stalls.

Trent

I would suggest the first thing to check as a result of an incident
that happened on my truck last Friday.

Turn the key to ON and see if your battery gauge shows a low discharge
state. If it does, take a look at the fuse closest to the engine in
the engine's fuse box. It's a fusible link type. Check closely to
see if it has blown or, in my case, a piece of solder had broken off,
thus cutting the circuit to the alternator. The battery was not being
charged and when it was low enough, the PCM went into limp mode and
finally said 'I'm not doing anything any more'.

If the fuse is aok, I'm sure that DMLers will post other things to
check.

Bob
Burlington, Ontario

'97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55, auto., 4x2, flame red