RE: Misc. subject opinions (sorry, long)

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Wed Jul 07 1999 - 08:17:06 EDT

Hey Ed....

Hmmm...twenty-questions...Ok:

(1) MSD vs. Jacobs - No technical reason, jut service received from MSD, the
price, and warranty was much better than Jacobs. Personally I couldn't say
anything bad about the performance of the Jacobs unit since i've never run
it in any of my vehicles. (Part #'s are on my site) Use the MSD-6 (#6200)
for a normal street driven truck...cost is about $80-$90.00

(2) I remember when they lowered the speed limit in CA from 65 to 55...and
then back up to 65. Politics...Sheesh!!

(3) You're absolutely correct...even the plugs are "Pre-Gapped", that may
not be the gap required for your application. (And the parts boy/girl
could've dropped them in the back and just put them back on the shelf.)

(4) I used to hear that (and do that as well) way back when muscle cars
ruled the earth...but this has changed. Personal preference unless required
by the manufacturer. (What?? 10 years ago...when you were 16...listen here
you whipper-snapper...I've got 5 years on ya.) ;)

Bernd D. Ratsch
Pflugerville, TX
'97 Dakota SLT/CC (V6)
bernd@texas.net
http://lonestar.texas.net/~bernd/Dakota.htm
ICQ#: 39320084

Subject: DML: Misc. subject opinions (sorry, long)

    Hey all, have several comments on several things brought up on the
DML today.

1-what reason should I go MSD over Jacobs? Bernd, input??
Which MSD should I get?? '97 V-6.

2-I feel for the "Jacks' Citaton" guy (forgot who) I have seen several CHP
cruisers crash due to
officers' negligence, I'm not a cop, just my whole family is, and did you
notice when I wrote "never ticketed"? I didn't say "never pulled over"
(several times on that one!) I just think it helps to let the
officer know who he's dealing with now and might be answering to in the near
future :-) Don't get me wrong, I am the one who goes 75-80 on the freeway
anyways, and I don't remember when 55 mph came about (too young)
but I do know that the limit is going back up to where it should be, but not
fast enough!!

3-never trust the gap on spark plugs that you buy, always check the gap to
be sure and double-check you're specs or underhood decals (thanks Dad!)

4-My Dad also told me you should always use the additive in posi rears.
Learned that lesson in my first car, '66 Olds 442 W-30. Posi was chatterin'
and groanin' and jerkin' every time I made a turn at a slow
speed. The additive fixed it. (I was 16 then, gimmie a break, that was 10
years ago, I've learned alot since!) Thanks for your time and patience. Had
to do this, got alot of DML digests today