Bleeding ABS brakes

From: michael crotty (michael.crotty@m.cc.utah.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 07 1999 - 15:09:12 EDT

Hi all,

In the manual, it says to hook up a computer and tell the reservoirs in
the ABS to purge themselves. I don't remember if it was an OBD2 or not,
but I think it was a special machine just for ABS. This makes it extremely
difficult for us to bleed our own brakes. I'd really like to find out how
to 'trick' those reservoirs into purging themselves! The manual has very
little information on what's inside the ABS.

In the past, I haved solved warping problems by bleeding. It's possible
they're shipping trucks with air in the lines. This is a lot more likely
than bad calipers.

I have a 99, and I had a braking clunk until I torqued the lug nuts to be
uniform. I also get less brake dust since I did this. Highly recommended.

You can't usually trust anyone else to do these things. It's too easy to
just say 'yea I did that' and not do it, or do it half-assed. If you want
something done right...

mike

michael.crotty@m.cc.utah.edu