RE: Re: RE: Tire Size?

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Thu Jul 08 1999 - 00:04:39 EDT

Tire Example:

295/50 - 15

295 = Tire Width in Millimeters
50 = Tire Height in percentage/ratio to width
15 - Actual size that the tire will fit (14 = 14" Rim, 15 = 15" Rim, etc.)

On the rims:

15 = Rim diameter (In inches)
7 (or 8) = Rim Width (In Inches)

You can look at your owners manual for the actual rim size (build sheet
works best) but the easiest way to tell is the style. The Durango's and
Dakota SLT's (with the Handling Package use the 15x8's) and Regular Daks
(except the R/T's) use the 15x7's...unless you custom ordered them.

Mark Kuzia uses the 15x8 (check out his site for a picture) rims with the
295's. No offense here Mark, but notice how the tires bulge out past the
rim, this is ok but not the best for handling since the tire can (if not
properly inflated) jump off the bead (rim) under hard cornering
maneuvers...the side walls of the tires are pretty tough, but they will
fold. Again...nothing wrong with this, but not the safest. A 275 should be
more than adequate for the daily driver on the 15x8's.

On the other extreme, you'll see on occasion those silly looking undersize
tires on lowered Jap cars (that also have the wrong style rim
installed...they stick out past the fenderwell), this is a BIG NO-NO and is
only for the complete idiot who doesn't like their suspension, let alone
only does it for "Looks" or "because it looks cool". (I've seen these
idiots break their axles and steering racks because of it.)

BTW: I used to run 295/50-15's on my old Camaro (R.I.P.) but it used 15x10
Centerlines and the tires fit perfectly...no bulge on the sidewall.

Bernd D. Ratsch
Pflugerville, TX
'97 Dakota SLT/CC (V6)
bernd@texas.net