drilled/slotted rotors

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Thu Jul 08 1999 - 01:03:19 EDT

"Hey DML. With all the hp and handling upgrades we do to the trucks,
what about brakes??? I have checked far and wide. nobody is making the

cross drilled or slotted rotors for the Dakotas yet. I almost got
Powerslot to do a set of slotted rotors (20 sets) for sale to the DML
and other Dak owners. Anyone know anyone at Raybestos? Their new
Brutestop rotor with metallic pads is the top of our brake wishlist.
If everyone would start emailing these two companies, one of them would
probably step up to the plate and do something for the new Daks."

--Well, James, I have a total of 5 people that are interested in
drilled/slotted rotors, and that small response will not make it worth
the while to tool up to machine/drill them. Unless more people respond,
there is no way I can put a reasonable purchase together.
Unfortunately, Raybestos has not manufactured them in their Brute-Stop
line yet. Jon had asked whether a drilled and slotted rotor is weaker
than a standard rotor. My answer is this-It all depends on the
temperature that the rotor is functioning at. The rotor needs to
dissipate the friction heat generated as fast as possible, and a drilled
and slotted rotor helps this process along. The higher the retained
heat of the rotor, the weaker the rotor will be. Without doing a full
scientific test, I have no problems in minimal drilling and slotting a
quality aftermarket rotor. I wouldnt consider it on an oem Mopar part,
though.
Patrick