Premature Brake Failure: was: brakes

From: Sawyer, Travis (tsawyer@northchurch.net)
Date: Thu Jul 08 1999 - 07:54:03 EDT

Aaron:

Visually inspect the pads and shoes for uneven wear.
Feel the rotors (take your thumb and middle finger. Make a 'U' out of them
and run your finger tips over the rotor.) The rotors will have rings. The
deeper the rings, the more wear. If you're really unlucky the rotor will
look the the inside of a tree, with visable rings. (read: I'm doing my
brakes today because the stock rotors are crap and have died on me).

It is REALLY hard to inspect for warpage w/o a lathe. BUT you can feel the
truck vibrate when braking from almost any speed. Your steering wheel may
vibrate also at low speed while braking.

I have the original rotors on my '97 at 75,000 miles. There is a gouge in
one that you can put your pinky finger in.

The dealer said not to bother turning rotors. These days the rotors are
thin enough that turning them will speed rotor warp. I priced rotors at
Autozone -- $53 each.

Good luck,

travis