Re: '95 Tow hooks..

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Thu Jul 08 1999 - 14:20:37 EDT

<< Thanks for the response, you've certainly given me more to think about
(like
 I really need it :-). When you say that the frame horn was bent, do you
 mean that the outside "wall" was collapsed, or the entire box bent? I
 wonder about putting the hooks on the bottom rail instead of the side. I've
 seen this done many times on other vehicles, but I'm not sure if there's
 enough rail there to work with. I'll have to check it out.

 I wonder how much it would cost to have a whole new bumper fabricated with
 some TOW POINTS. I've only found one aftermarket bumper
 (http://www.kenmtn.com/html/p2.html). It's difficult to tell from their
 photos, but I'm starting to think it sticks out too far and puts the winch
 too low for an unlifted truck. They quoted me $225 for the bumper and $40
 for the D rings.

As I think you mean, the frame horn really didnt completely collapse, just
the outside of the frame did, the part that the hook was mounted to. I was
going to mount the hooks on the bottom of the frame rail, but for my truck
atleast, there just wasnt enough room in my opinion. I have looked at
aftermarket front winch bumpers, and have only really liked one. Try calling
REUNEL at 1-800-338-2077, they make extremely STOUT front winch bumpers with
two points on them, you can even have a brush/grill guard attached to their
bumpers. I called them about 2 years ago, and they sent me a complete catalog
along with some pictures on their products on a 94 Dakota 4x4. Info was also
sent reguarding load testing and breaking strength, impressive results. Give
them a try. Good luck for now, let me know what you think up.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6