Popping and wiggling

From: Tibor Kun (TKun@compuserve.com)
Date: Thu Jul 08 1999 - 14:30:32 EDT

 7/ 8/1999 1:15PM Plano, Texas

Hi all,

I'm new to the list - come armed with a '98 Dakota short cab Sport flame
red with handling package (the eights) and a V6 with a 5-speed.

I've noticed for some time now that turning tight corners at low speeds,
parking for example, the front end makes a popping sound as the weight
transfers around. A friend suspects it may be my ball joints, and noted
that his Toyota does that too. Is this normal, or should have the boy
looked at (the truck, not the Toyota owner)?

Second, I understand that the beds on our Daks are mounted on rubber mounts
or the such - is that why I see a little wiggle over even insignificant
bumps? Also, the bed's front end moves from side to side a tiny bit,
usually the direction I'm cornering, when I take sharp turns or simply
change roads. Also, one side is about half an inch closer to the cab than
the other. I took it in to my dealership when the A/C and horn quit on me
and told them to straighten it out for me, which they did. It's right back
where it was now, and still does a good wiggle over rough roads. Is this
normal, and simply the side-affect of the construction, perhaps letting it
give so it doesn't break if really slammed?

BTW - my Dak doesn't go offroad, so it's not any form of stress from hard
driving that's doing this to it, I don't think.

Thanks in advance,

-- Tibor Kun '98 Dakota Sport V6 5-spd Dallas, Texas