Re: Slotted/Cross Drilled Brake Rotors

From: Bob Mankin (bob@cadpros.com)
Date: Thu Jul 08 1999 - 15:02:18 EDT

Jon Steiger wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, James Harmon wrote:
> > Jon Steiger wrote:
> [...]
> > > How safe are drilled/slotted rotors on a vehicle as heavy as the Dakota?
> > > I don't know very much about them, but from what I understand,
> > > drilled/slotted rotors are weaker than solid rotors of the same size. ?
> > >

> > Actually the opposite. They eat pads like crazy. Expect about 50% life as
> > compared to stock rotors. Increase stopping by about 10% at best. Until Baer
> > comes out with their modification, we are stuck. No pun intended.
> > The only other mods are from Stillen. Their cross drilled rotors didn't sell
> > very well due to price (~$325 per set plus pads) and they discontinued them.
> > Stillen makes a rotor/disc set up for the rear but only for the Durango. VERY
> > expensive!
> > Jim
>

> A slotted/drilled rotor will eat pads, last 50% as long as the already
> pathetic stock rotors (or did you mean pads?), and only increase stopping
> by 10%?? Why would I want them? Are these just a "rice-boy, looks"
> kind've thing? As far as functionality goes, wouldn't a ram-air set up
> to direct air over the rotors help just as much for a lot less $$?

Jon,

Probably is more looks than anything else when it comes to the DAK
application. The drilling will improve cooling and result in better
performance, but the tradeoff is you are losing surface area so you give
some of the improved stopping distance right back. The ideal for a
drilled rotor is to go up an inch or so in diameter at the same time so
you maintain the surface area as well as add the cooling. I'm not sure,
but I think this is what companies like Baer do when they design their
kits.

Don't know about the claims of pad life reduction. I'm sure they are an
added maintenance item in that you must keep an eye out for developing
cracks, but I'll be working them hard anyway, so added maintenance is a
given.

Bob