Re: Slotted/Cross Drilled Brake Rotors

From: David Rand Kirtland (drk16@cornell.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 08 1999 - 17:53:38 EDT

the durango has a 9.25 axle with drum brakes, some 97+ Dakota's have 9.25
axles with drum brakes(rt's, v8 5spds). they both have the same bolt
pattern. hell they use the same rims. I can't imagine that they are that
different at all for the 9.25 axles.

At 10:48 PM 7/7/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Actually the opposite. They eat pads like crazy. Expect about 50% life as
>compared to stock rotors. Increase stopping by about 10% at best. Until
Baer
>comes out with their modification, we are stuck. No pun intended.
>The only other mods are from Stillen. Their cross drilled rotors didn't sell
>very well due to price (~$325 per set plus pads) and they discontinued them.
>Stillen makes a rotor/disc set up for the rear but only for the Durango.
VERY
>expensive!
>Jim
>
>Jon Steiger wrote:
>
>> At 09:51 PM 7/7/99 , you wrote:
>> >Hey DML. With all the hp and handling upgrades we do to the trucks,
>> >what about brakes??? I have checked far and wide. nobody is making the
>> >cross drilled or slotted rotors for the Dakotas yet. I almost got
>> >Powerslot to do a set of slotted rotors (20 sets) for sale to the DML
>> >and other Dak owners. Anyone know anyone at Raybestos? Their new
>> >Brutestop rotor with metallic pads is the top of our brake wishlist.
>> >If everyone would start emailing these two companies, one of them would
>> >probably step up to the plate and do something for the new Daks.
>> >www.powerslot.com
>> >www.raybestos.com
>>
>> How safe are drilled/slotted rotors on a vehicle as heavy as the Dakota?
>> I don't know very much about them, but from what I understand,
>> drilled/slotted rotors are weaker than solid rotors of the same size. ?
>>
>> -Jon-

>> | Affiliations: DoD, EAA, MP Race Team, NMA, SPA, USUA. RP-SEL |
>> | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.58@93.55), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |
>> `----------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'

          David Rand Kirtland
          drk16@cornell.edu