Confirm my theory--crappy factory batteries

From: Jason Yates (j_hurricane_y@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jul 09 1999 - 21:44:08 EDT

So I go out to start my truck to leave from work today and
all I get upon turning the key is this VERY loud clicking
(better described as 'rapid banging') noise coming from my
starter. So, my initial reaction was that must mean that
somehow my starter lunched on me while the truck was
sitting in the parking lot. After thinking on it
momentarily and more importantly, talking with an
electrician in the parking lot, I decided the next course
of action was to try jumping the battery. It worked
thankfully . . . the truck turned over as normal. So that
does indeed sound like a symptom of the battery dying, but
yet I'm not getting any other symptoms. I've already gone
through one factory battery last summer here in the Vegas
heat, but with that one, the amp gauge needle would start
to fall at idle and the lights would dim, but I never had
trouble starting it. This time, I'm not getting a low amp
indication at idle with all the bells and whistles turned
on so I'm kind of confused. So, anyone who can confirm my
suspicions that the battery is total crap, please do so.
Oh, also this electrician dude told me that the deposits on
my battery terminals are due to overcharging. Is that
true? I do have the HD alternator, so I guess that could
be the case. OK, I've rambled on long enough--thanks for
reading this far.

Later,
JY
Vegas '98 5.2L 5pd 4x4 CC

PS Anyone see that we had major flash flooding here in
Vegas yesterday? In fact, the Dak had to do a little bit
of swimming. Damn glad I have it--wish the 'little things'
weren't so pesky.