Transmission Fluid Change/Flush

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Sun Jul 11 1999 - 16:06:07 EDT

Well it's getting time to do the tranny fluid change, and I need some
advice/suggestions. First off, what transmission do I have?? I understand it
is a 4 speed auto with OD, but what model is it?? I have religiusly changed
the fluid in my transmission(dropping the pan, new gasket, filter, etc) about
every year and have been told by some mechanics that this type maintenance
for the tranny is just fine. However, I was curious about taking my Dakota in
and getting the tranny fluid "flushed out". Select local lube and oil shops
offer this service, which is supposed to flush out and replace 100% of the
fluid. I think I was quoted at $110 for the fluid, gasket, pan cleaning,
filter, etc. Anyone know how the system gets flushed or what tranny lines
they tap into????? Now, anyone think this tranny fluid flush is worth it or
will the simple tranny fluid job that I have always done suffice??? My truck
runs great, and I just am curious if this flushing will do anything to help
the tranny to perform better. My truck has 106,000 miles on it and I also
have a HD tranny cooler (meant for a 1 ton)on my Dakota, which has been on
since 10,000 miles. Thanks.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6