Chryslers @ Carlisle and convoy story

From: Jason Bleazard (jbleazard@home.com)
Date: Mon Jul 12 1999 - 06:20:50 EDT

Well, we got back from Chryslers at Carlisle yesterday afternoon. I think
next year we'll spring for another night or two in the hotel. We didn't get
to see all of the show that I would have liked. Plus 23 hours of driving in
2 days is a bit much for my taste, better to spread it out a bit. (I wish
they'd set up a more direct interstate route between Buffalo and Harrisburg,
I think it'd cut about half the time off the trip.)

We both had a great time meeting and talking to all of the other Dakota
owners. It's always fun to put faces to the names and posts that you see on
the list. I'm starting to think maybe we should have name tags made up for
next time with our e-mail addresses and names, plus enough info to identify
which Dak we're in. Don't know about anyone else, but sometimes I have a
terrible time remembering names, so I'll apologize in advance if I don't
seem to remember talking to you. I do remember, I'm just not sure who a
couple of people were.

The DML tent and Dakota area was quite a sight. From what I gathered, this
was the first year that Dakotas had their own category separate from other
trucks. I walked around and counted 36 Daks parked in just our area, and I
saw several others spread around the show.

One of the highlights for me actually came pretty early on the trip down
I-79 in PA. Jon was in the lead, we were in back and Bob Tom and Richard
(an MML'er with a Dart who drove down with us) were in the middle. Bob
noticed a Foard F150 parked in the median and came over the CB asking if it
might be a cop looking for speeders. I replied that I didn't think so, but
then Jon said it could be, since the cops in PA are pretty sneaky. A few
minutes later, an F150 comes blasting up the highway, but slows way down
right as he pulled alongside our convoy.

At this point, I'm thinking "oh, rats, that *was* an unmarked cop and he's
coming to pull us over." The Foard was still going a bit faster than we
were and passing us slowly. Bob came over the CB and said, "man, I hate
getting passed by a Foard."

Right about this time, I see the flashing lights in the rear view from the
real police. I have no idea where the real cop was hiding. The Foard
pulled in front of Jon, and the cop blew past the four of us and pulled the
Foard right over.

I didn't mind so much being passed by a Foard at that point :-).

Had a great time this weekend, just sorry I didn't get to see more of the
show. Next we're headed to Mopar Nats, looking forward to that one. I've
never been, I hear it's pretty wild. Should be interesting.

Jason Bleazard http://www.bleazard.net Toronto, Ontario
current: '95 Dakota Sport white 4x4 Reg. Cab V6/3.9L/5spd
current: '98 Dakota Sport black 4x4 Club Cab V8/5.2L/Auto
RIP: '95 Dakota Sport black 4x2 Club Cab V6/3.9L/Auto