Re[5]: limitied slip differential

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Mon Jul 12 1999 - 09:51:55 EDT

Lockers primarily use gears to lock the axles together. LSD's typically use
clutch packs. A locker will provide better lockup than a LSD because of this
(there is no slippage while the clutches engage on a LSD).

The only down side to a locker in the rear diff. that I've heard of is a little
bit of noise when it engages/dis-engages. I'd rather have a more positive
lockup and deal with the noise. YMMV.

As far as price, I don't know yet. PowerTrax is supposed to be shipping their
'97+ Dak locker in August so prices aren't available. I'm hoping they hold the
current price points which would mean it should cost between 200-300 bones. I
think (but am not sure) that's a comparable price to a LSD from Auburn Gear.

If you have a pre '97 Kota with 27 spline rear axle, your options are wide open.
Hope this answers your questions.
Tom