RE: Tailgating was: not roadrage (non Dak)

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Mon Jul 12 1999 - 22:10:31 EDT

> At 08:42 PM 7/12/99 , you wrote:
> >Hemipower@aol.com wrote:
> >> In a message dated 99-07-11 17:33:23 EDT, you write:
> >>
> >> << I think its a little ballsy, to come up on someone doing 80
> and expect
> >> them to
> >> pull over cause you want to do 90. >>
> >>
> >> Why so?
> >> 80 is crawling for most high speed drivers.
> >
> >Well OK, I typically like to drive 80-90, I'm on the hwy's all
> the time. Like
> >I said, I have no problem coming up on someone doing 55-60 in
> the left lane.
> >I just feel like coming up on someone doing 80 - 90 a bit too aggressive
> >......unless the guys driving a hot car and you wana impress him. Hey,
> >everyone has their threshold.
>

> I think a major reason why you should pull over to the right whenever
> someone faster comes up behind you (no matter what your speed) is that you
> don't know all the facts of the situation. If you're doing 80 and someone
> comes up behind you doing 120, it could be some punk trying to
> show off, it
> could be someone trying to get an allergic family member to the emergency
> room before they swell up and die, or anything in between those extremes.
> Plus, moving over will help to promote proper traffic flow and prevent
> tempers from flaring. When someone faster comes up behind me I ALWAYS
> move over, even if it means I have to slow down to match the speed of the
> traffic in the right lane for a few moments. In fact, I LOVE it when
> someone faster goes by; they're the one that will get nailed by
> the police,
> and I can also move in behind them, match their pace, and go faster than I
> could alone (due to speeding ticket paranoia). There is no reason NOT to
> move over, and so very MANY to do so!

I have to agree with you Jon... Case in point I was stationed in Germany
many moons ago. And on a trip back from Italy on the Autobahn we came across
an accident. Pretty nasty one... 4 people died in that wreck, 3 in the first
car 1 in the second. The cause? The American's in the first refused to yield
to the approaching car, they were doing 55 IN THE LEFT LANE the approaching
car was doing 175. In Europe it is common courtesy to yield the approaching
car when they flash their left turn signal, or flash there lights. Unlike
here in the US. On the Autobahn it is normal to cruise at speeds over 150mph
(until the late 80's early 90's there was no speed limit (well posted
minimum speeds). Just some food for thought....

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd