differential question

From: mrdancer@mail.camalott.com
Date: Tue Jul 13 1999 - 16:43:12 EDT

Ok, I used to know this (or thought I did!), but I've heard some conflicting statements
lately on how to tell if your differential is open or limited-slip (Sure-Grip).

I thought my '92 LE w/318 & 3.55's was a Sure-Grip since I'm able to spin both tires at
will when leaving from a dead stop or slow speed (sometimes I can chirp both going into
second, also - oh yeah, it is an auto). Anyway, I drove thru a mud puddle the other day
and my right tire just spun and the left tire wouldn't turn at all. However, I understand
that a Sure-Grip that is in poor condition or has worn clutches (I've 140k miles on 'em)
may act like an open diff.

When I raise both rear tires off the ground and leave the tranny in Park, I can spin one
tire forward and the other tire will spin in the opposite direction (rearward). Does
anybody know FOR SURE what type of diff. this indicates?

P.S. - I guess the only true solution is an ARB air locker? I still want my street
handling
:)

This message was sent using Camalott Endymion MailMan.
http://www.camalott.com/