Spare Lock Installed

From: Brian Duncan (brian@efogm.msd.ray.com)
Date: Wed Jul 14 1999 - 10:46:12 EDT

Howdy,

I received and installed the "Winchlock" spare lock on my '99 Dak last
night. The "Winchlock" is made by the folks who make the "Pop-Lock" for
truck tailgates (Steadfast Corp.).

Anyway, the installation wasn't too difficult for the Dak. It came with
a long bolt with two spacers and 5/8" nut and bolt heads. When you look
at the winch bracket on the new Daks, you will see a long "U" shaped
bracket that has 2 holes on each end. The holes aren't serving any
purpose. The larger spacer goes inside the U bracket (on the driver's
side of the winch U bracket) and then the long bolt (with spacer)
inserts from the passenger side and the nut goes on the driver's side.
The smaller spacer on the bolt-head end of the bolt is where the "U"
bracket goes that comes with the kit. The locking bar inserts into this
U bracket supplied with the kit and "locks" in place by inserting the
bar and then turning the bar 180 degrees. Then it's just a matter of
raising the spare and keeping it level enough so the bar goes through
the lug hole. This was the hardest part of the whole deal, trying to
raise the spare and make sure the bar lines up with the lug hole. The
spare slipped on me and mashed the end of my finger! Ouch! Having
someone else raise the spare while you keep it lines up would probably
make it ALOT easier. Anyways... finally got it up and it locks up tight
and fits very nicely. There are rubber caps to keep from scratching the
wheel when it's snugged up against the lock and also a rubber cap that
covers the keyhole.

Got it for $22.95 (S/H included) from
http://www.autoaccessories.com/winch.htm

You may be able to get it cheaper elsewhere, I just didn't want to keep
looking around for the best deal.

--
Brian D.
     (_____