Re: E-RAM and RAM air

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 14 1999 - 17:25:22 EDT

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Joseph DaVolio wrote:

> I would ASSume that when the eRam is off, and you are driving, the blades of the fan are still turning. The "rush" of air thru the tube would cause the fan to turn. Just think of a window fan when the wind blows, the fan blades turn. Therefore, the eRam is moving and wearing out. If you attach a variable resitor type switch to the throtle cable, you would have variable flow. Just a thought... Of course I am not a mechanical engineer and I am speaking out of my first part of ASSume.

   That sounds about right to me. Others have posted and said the drag
isn't a problem, but one thing I thought I'd mention is that a windmilling
fan will create more drag than one that is stationary. (That's the way
it works with aircraft props, anyway.) I guess it depends on the motor
they used, but if it actually is stationary (unaffected by the air flow
over it) that'd be better than if it were windmilling, from a "drag"
point of view...

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.55@94.14), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |