Re: Re:cool air rig

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@wcom.com)
Date: Wed Jul 14 1999 - 18:38:18 EDT

For that matter, why not LOX (liquified Oxygen)... it's REALLY cold, and
just packed with energy.. mix it with Liquid Hydrogen.... drop that right
in... 8-0

I remember seeing a web page where some propellerheads/Tim Allen wannabees
were having a competition on who could light a BBQ full of briquettes the
fastest... the winner used a single cigarette in the middle of a pile, then
poured LOX over the pile from a crucible on a long stick.. time was in the
millisecond range...

seriously though, if you want to cool the intake charge, my suggestion would
be to start by sealing the intake on the truck.. the stock setup is a
bathtub gasket that makes up the bottom of the intake, with hot oil
splashing on the bottom of the gasket... I know there's a gain to be had
just by sealing up your stock intake- having plate aluminum welded to the
bottom of it would work great for this purpose...

>>> Oxygen or Hydrogen.when
>>> oxygen to oxidize
>>>
>>> The Hindenburg Explosive Air Intake System.
>>> Guaranteed to get you
>>> into the 8's, though the number of pieces actually
>>> crossing the finish
>>> line will vary according to application. <grin>
>>>
>>> The idea about the dry ice is cool though, pardon
>>> the pun. :-D
>>> Dry ice is fairly easy to get, and could be stored
>>> in a styrofoam
>>> container until you arrived at the track. With
>>> something like the
>>> QuickD intake, an insulated box could be built
>>> around the steel tube,
>>> with a lid on top that opens. Before you race,
>>> simply open the box,
>>> dump in some dry ice, then close and latch the box
>>> lid. The dry ice
>>> causes the intake tube to become extremely cold,
>>> cooling the air as it
>>> goes into the engine.
>>>
>>> Advantages:
>>> 1. No dripping water, as dry ice sublimates directly
>>> into a gas.
>>> 2. The CO gas would not be going into the intake, so
>>> no loss of
>>> combustion.
>>> 3. Air would be cold going into the engine,
>>> especially with a steel
>>> tube like on the QuickD.
>>> 4. Dry ice in an insulated box would last a pretty
>>> long time, so the
>>> ice could be loaded a while in advance of the actual
>>> run.
>>> 5. Cost would be reasonable, both for building and
>>> using.
>>> 6. Super easy to implement.
>>> 7. No danger of explosion, as CO2 doesn't burn.