Re: Leaking Radiator on 93 w/ a V-6

From: Jon Smith (jdsmith4@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jul 15 1999 - 11:45:04 EDT

Carl, what year truck? There is a TSB out for this
problem.. Did the same on my truck a while back.

--- carl.nybro@natinst.com wrote:

> The plastic head on my radiator just sprouted a leak
> between it and the core.
> Funny though because it's not a constant leak. It
> only appears to leak after an
> extended drive and I shut the engine off. Could
> this be because there is less
> pressure when the engine is on? I thought the
> temperature rises when the engine
> is off because of no circulation - which may explain
> why it leaks when the
> engine is off.
>
> So, is this repairable? I'm thinking it may be just
> the seal between the core
> and head. I think it should cost less than $50 to
> fix. A new radiator from
> Dodge is $370. Parts America has a Modine radiator
> for $270 and Vans has an ARS
> radiator for $212. Some local shops have
> recommended that if it can't be fixed,
> then it should be replaced with an all metal
> radiator (no plastic head). I only
> plan on keeping the truck for another year and then
> I have to cave-in and do the
> minivan thing (sob!), so performance is not an
> issue. Any thoughts?
>
> Also, what techniques have you used to flush out the
> cooling system? The shop
> manual say to open the two drain plugs on either
> side of the block. If I crack
> these open, do I need to put thread sealant back on
> them to prevent any leaks?
>
> TIA,
> Carl
> carl.nybro@natinst.com

===
Jon Smith -- Raleigh, NC
'95 CC SLT 4x4 318 auto (15.653@89.12)
MP comp, JBA headers, 8.5mm MSD wires, 14x3 FABM & SBBS, dual cat-back glasspacks, 180 degree thermo, spectre wire dividers, ASP underdrive crank pulley, Hayden 16" elec. fan
http://come.to/killbilly
ICQ # 9720504
IM: Fast4x4