Life of a water pump?

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Thu Jul 15 1999 - 20:07:54 EDT

>Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:16:45 -0400
From: "Sawyer, Travis" <tsawyer@northchurch.net>
Subject: DML: Life of a water pump?

Folks:

Call me stupid...

I had JiffyLube do a flush and fill of my radiator a couple of months back.
Since then, after driving, I can smell a little antifreeze, but I can't
locate the source of it.

Here are my questions:

1. Is there a way I can find out if I've a blown seal/gasket in my water
pump?
2. What is the life expectantcy of a water pump?
3. How hard is it to replace the pump?

I have a '97 4x4 V8 5spd with ~ 75k miles.

Thanx!

>- -Travis

Before you jump to conclusions, have the cooling system pressure
tested...it may only be a leak. Is the level of your overflow bottle going
down? The older Dodge waterpumps used to have a 'tell tale', which would
leak a bit of fluid once the seal started leaking.

Sometimes a whiff of exhaust can be mistaken for anti-freeze.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.
Canada