Re: Dual 12" fans wasRe: MPG wasRe: GenII Mileage report

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 15 1999 - 23:42:39 EDT

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Bob H wrote:

> Alan,
>
> it has only happened once, and I like the idea of it cooling on down, think
> there is a real benefit to this. A hint is that the foreign cars have been
> doing this for years!

   Unfortunately, all this is doing is cooling the fluid in the radiator.
(If it cools anything else, I think it'd have to be via convection.) What
would be really sweet is an electric water pump so you could actually cycle
the coolant through the engine. Many race vehicles do this, but I haven't
been able to figure out how to do the water pump part yet. (Either a
replacement pump which is electric, or an external motor and a belt around
the water pump pulley.) Electric water pump probably isn't viable; I'd
be surprised if anything exists given the pathetic aftermarket for these
trucks. I haven't been able to figure out how to get an electric motor
to drive the water pump pulley either (serpentine belt gets in the way).
  Granted, I haven't given it a lot of thought, but nothing popped out
at me right away.

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.55@94.14), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |