Too much noise hitting reverse?

From: Tibor Kun (tiborski@excite.com)
Date: Fri Jul 16 1999 - 22:45:04 EDT

Hi y'all,

I know that when you shift into reverse w/a stick, it's okay if it makes a
bit of a clunk or the such. But the last few times I've done it it's also
made a bit of clunking afterwards, as if something might be loose? Well,
*I* fear it might be loose, but this too may just be in breaking in for all
I know. Is this common? Is it also common that there might be a small
click as it starts out in 1st from a stop, as the drive line engages?

For reference, I always kill the parking brake, push in the clutch, shift
into 1st (sometimes against considerable resistance), and then put it back
into reverse. With the brake pedal holding all in place. In my last stick,
the shift first into first usually resulted in silent shifting.

TIA,

--
Tibor
'98 RC V6 5-spd red Sport