K&N (was New member)

From: Jason Bleazard (jbleazard@home.com)
Date: Sat Jul 17 1999 - 06:53:13 EDT

Hi Will,

> I am a new member to the Dakota mailing list, which by the way seems
> like an amazing resource and great idea. I have a 2 month old 99 2wd
> club cab DAK, 318 auto, tire and handling package etc. Anyways my
> question is These K&N drop in air filters. I have seen a few posts where
> some people mention that they dont trap all the dirt and can screw your
> engine up in the long run. Is their any truth to these rumors?. Seems
> like 99% of the folks on the mailing list use them so iam hopping this
> is just BS.

Welcome to the list!

As for the K&N, I've made up my mind that they're okay for street driving,
but not for really dusty conditions (driving on dirt roads, construction
sites, etc.) I didn't know this when I had a drop-in in my '95 and took it
to Arches in Utah. The dealer noticed that I had a bunch of gunk in the
throttle body and cleaned it out for me, hopefully that's the extent of it.
Now I have a pre-filter for going off the highway.

I'm not sure if the drop-in will give you any performance increase with the
new body style. It seemed to help a bit on the '95, but the intake and
filter design was different. I've never done the math to see if it works
out cheaper, the cleaning kit isn't really cheap ($14 CDN or so at Canadian
Tire). K&N says to do it every 80,000 km, but I did it at about half that
and it was overdue. See taking it to Arches with no pre-filter.

Hope that helps.

Jason Bleazard http://www.bleazard.net Toronto, Ontario
current: '95 Dakota Sport white 4x4 Reg. Cab V6/3.9L/5spd
current: '98 Dakota Sport black 4x4 Club Cab V8/5.2L/Auto
RIP: '95 Dakota Sport black 4x2 Club Cab V6/3.9L/Auto