Heat shield for homemade Quick-D and the like

From: Kevin Hoegen (hoegen@kersur.net)
Date: Sun Jul 18 1999 - 00:16:46 EDT

Hello fellow Dakrs,
        As I've already posted my Homemade Air Intake setup with Black PVC went
well. I've noticed a slight increase in performance as well as a nice
underhood "growl", especially considering its a 6er. I ran it all day tod=
ay
in 90+ air temperature with the AC on max, and stuck in traffic...and I c=
an
still pop the hood and hold the tubing with my hand. As I had thought, it
does warm up, but not nearly the way a stainless or aluminum tube
would.....but:

I have noticed that the filter's location (same location as the filters w=
ith
the quick-D setups) falls within the flow of the radiator fan.
Unfortunately, this is actually blowing warm air right to the filter - so
much for the cool intake idea. I'm sure the majority of you are aware of
this, and based on the pics I see on the web, seldom have addressed it. I
now understand why the K&N Gen II has a "heat Shield",presumably to prote=
ct
the filter from this effect.

Has anyone attempted to make a "homemade" heatshield which separates the
cone filter from the warm air blowing off the radiator. Your responses ar=
appreciated...meanwhile I'll put my thinking cap on.

...I wonder if you can by "sheets" of ABS plastic which can then be cut t=
fit??

=A0
Kevin ~Stinger~ Hoegen
'99 Dak Sport CC V6 Solar Yellow
E-mail:=A0 hoegen@kersur.net <mailto:hoegen@kersur.net>
Dak Site (Under Construction): www.kersur.net/~hoegen
<http://www.kersur.net/~hoegen>
=A0
Note: Already took pics of the air intake Mod...waitin for my kodak CD to
arrive so I can post the "after" photo.