RE: driveshaft carrier bearing going out??

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Mon Jul 19 1999 - 22:19:10 EDT

> Fellow Daksters,
> I was on my way home from work today and the truck started vibrating and
> rattling pretty bad. After some investigation, it appears that
> the carrier
> bearing (or its housing) on the driveshaft is going south. There had been
> some vibration developing under there over last few thousand miles, but I
> had figured it was the heat shields around the exhaust coming loose over
> time (142k miles).
>
> I put the rear of the truck up on stands, started it up & put it in Drive.
> The driveshaft shakes pretty bad & shakes everything around it. After
> shutting it back down, I checked it out and there's about 1/8" play in the
> rubber housing around the bearing. Under Drive stress, that's probably
> about 1/4" or more :(
>
> Apparently the rubber housing has deteriorated quite a bit. Has anybody
> else had this problem???

Yup on a 74 Datsun PL-620.. If you got 142k on it that is not bad at all..
Probably the bearing seized up an tore the rubber bushing. What I did was
(mind you that I did this on a Datsun our Daks could be quite different)
removed the 4 bolts that held the UJoint plate to the diff, removed the 2
bolts to the carrier bearing bracket ( half hoop) and pulled the driveshaft
out and was able to work on it on a bench.

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd
Rahway NJ