Maybe this is why our trucks are falling apart.....too much hanky-panky....

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Tue Jul 20 1999 - 20:41:31 EDT

09:53 PM ET 07/19/99

Woman Wins $21M From DaimlerChrysler

 By JIM SUHR=
 Associated Press Writer=
            SOUTHFIELD, Mich. (AP) _ A jury awarded $21 million Monday to a
 woman who claims she was sexually harassed for years in her job at
 a Chrysler plant in Detroit.
            Linda Gilbert alleged in a 1994 lawsuit that the automaker did
 nothing to address her complaints that male co-workers placed
 Polaroid images of male body parts and obscene cartoons where she
 would see them, made sexually explicit comments and urinated on her
 chair.
            The company, now DaimlerChrysler, said an appeal was imminent,
 arguing that ``holding a company liable for the isolated acts of
 anonymous co-workers sets an impossible standard and a dangerous
 precedent.''
            ``Under these rules, every bad joke or overheard remark can
 become the basis for a multi-million-dollar lawsuit,'' Judith
 Pickering, DaimlerChrysler's assistant general counsel, said in the
 statement after the Wayne County jury announced its verdict in the
 six-week trial. ``Ironically, verdicts like this weaken public
 support for sexual harassment laws, undermining the very
 protections they were meant to provide.''
            The award includes $20 million for the embarrassment and other
 emotional fallout Ms. Gilbert said she suffered since 1992 at the
 Jefferson North Assembly Plant, where Jeep Grand Cherokees are
 made. The remaining $1 million is for lost future income and
 necessary medical and psychiatric care.
            Ms. Gilbert, 39, accused the automaker of failing to investigate
 and stop the harassment she said began when she first started
 working at the Jefferson North plant in 1992. As a millwright, Ms.
 Gilbert's job entails repairing machinery used in the plant.
            ``From that moment, she was harassed on a daily basis because of
 her sex,'' said Geoffrey Fieger, Ms. Gilbert's attorney. ``It has
 gone on unabated, continuously.''
            Ms. Gilbert, who plans to return to work at the plant Tuesday or
 Wednesday, said the harassment left her ``degraded, humiliated and
 embarrassed'' but never winnowed her resolve to keep working there.
            ``It made it so I dreaded going to work every day, but I wasn't
 going to quit,'' she said. ``I wasn't going to let them push me
 out.''
            Fieger said that each time his client complained to supervisors,
 ``the retaliation would get worse.''
            But in its statement Monday, DaimlerChrysler said it took
 ``prompt action'' to investigate Ms. Gilbert's allegations ``even
 though she refused to cooperate.''
            In all but one instance, DaimlerChrysler said, Ms. Gilbert
 refused to identify the suspected offender. In that one case, the
 worker was reprimanded in writing and put on notice another offense
 would cost him his job, the automaker said.
            In all other cases, DaimlerChrysler said, the company ``put
 employees on notice that this type of behavior would not be
 tolerated.'' The automaker also said it agreed to transfer Ms.
 Gilbert _ at her request _ to another work area in the plant on a
 different shift.