Re: New 4x4 Durango. Let the questions begin!

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@wcom.com)
Date: Fri Jul 23 1999 - 21:41:18 EDT

You've just demonstrated one of the 2 different viewpoints on the use of
4WD.... whether to engage before or after you're stuck...
I am a firm believer in using 4WD well before you are stuck... I shift my
truck into 4Hi all the time at 35-50mph... when I'm travelling on some
Colorado highways, and I come to a section where the plows did not get the
snow off the road, and now it's packed so hard it's like ice... I'll grab
that lever and put it into traction mode... never caused a problem yet...
the shift is very smooth.... into or out of 4WD... my life and that of my
family is worth much more to me than ANY part on my truck- and I've tested
both 2WD and 4WD in a slick parking lot to get used to the handling, and
make sure there's an advantage to using 4WD... it doesn't help you stop, but
it does help cornering.

Gary Shook