RE: New 4x4 Durango. Let the questions begin!

From: John Mautz (jmautz@home.com)
Date: Fri Jul 23 1999 - 22:43:34 EDT

Ryan,

The Part time transfer case can be shifted from 2H to 4H at up to 50 mph. I
don't know why you would do this. I have a 4x4 5.9 Durango w/ PT 4-wheel
drive and only shift it out of 2H when off paved highway. The 4H position
will take you anywhere you want to go with any resemblance of a 'packed'
surface (packed/semi-loose sand, dirt, small rocks, etc.). The 4L position
is for the very loose stuff. With the stock tires (even the 31x10.5) I
would stay out mud that is over 8" deep. The D is a great truck but is very
heavy and will sink to the body line, then the wheels just spin.

To give you a view of the capability of the D off-road take a look at
http://geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6194/welcome.htm

This is the home page of the So. Cal. Durango Owners club. There are pics
of two off-road trips. I know on the Coyote Canyon Trip we all tried things
a little different when going through the water. One of the guys was brave
and took his through 10" deep water in 2H with no problems. Tony D also
took his up a 20" 15% grade in 4L w/ no gas just to see what would happen.
It crawled right up w/out spinning any of the tires.

Hope this helps.
John.