New 4x4 Durango. Let the questions begin!

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Sat Jul 24 1999 - 01:10:47 EDT

------------------------------

>Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 17:25:09 -0700
From: Ryan LeBlanc <rleblanc1@earthlink.net>
Subject: DML: New 4x4 Durango. Let the questions begin!

Ok, I got it this morning, and I already have a question. Since I am new to
4x4, I need some pointers. I got the Part Time transfer case. When I shift
from 2H, to 4H, can I do this at speed? i.e. 50mph? Is this not a smart
thing to do? The manual is clear about the shift from 4H to 4L. It says to
make the shift at 2 - 3 mph. But says nothing about a "recommended" speed
for the 2H to 4H shift. Also, how "careful" do I need to be in 4H? Should
I make no turns while on a hard packed dirt road? I have heard it can ruin
the driveline if the inside wheel cannot turn slower. 4x4 is going to be
fun. I just want to be educated before I get out on the trail and break
something. If any one has any 4x4 tips, I would love to hear them. Having
Fun,

Ryan LeBlanc
>99, Durango, 5.9L, 4x4, SLT, Forest Green

----

You can shift into 2H-4H at any speed (and back), but if the roads are that slippery, you might want to keep the speed down. You are merely connecting the front drive axle to the transmission through the tranfer case and everything is moving at the same speed anyway.

I stop dead to shift into 4L with the trans in Neutral. You smartly move the transfer case lever through neutral without pausing and into 4L. Shift from 4L to H can be made a bit easier with a rolling shift (2-3 mph), again transmission in Neutral. You will find the shifts very stiff at first.

As long as you are on dirt, gravel or snow (anything to allow the front wheels to skid) you will have no problems. I find tight turns (hard over) on gravel will cause a bit of binding so I try to minimize them, or go very slowly. Never use 4 wheel drive on dry pavement. Probably not a good idea on wet pavement either.

Rob Agnew ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C. Canada