Re: New 4x4 Durango. Let the questions begin!

From: BoogYT1300@aol.com
Date: Sat Jul 24 1999 - 09:16:21 EDT

In a message dated 7/23/99 7:31:27 PM EST, rleblanc1@earthlink.net writes:

> 4x4, I need some pointers. I got the Part Time transfer case. When I
shift
> from 2H, to 4H, can I do this at speed? i.e. 50mph? Is this not a smart
> thing to do? The manual is clear about the shift from 4H to 4L. It says
> make the shift at 2 - 3 mph. But says nothing about a "recommended" speed
> for the 2H to 4H shift. Also, how "careful" do I need to be in 4H? Should
> I make no turns while on a hard packed dirt road? I have heard it can ruin
> the driveline if the inside wheel cannot turn slower. 4x4 is going to be
> fun. I just want to be educated before I get out on the trail and break
> something. If any one has any 4x4 tips, I would love to hear them. Having
> Fun,

I always have shifted from 2wd to 4wd either stopped or going very slow. 4H
to 4L I always stop you have to put it in neutral anyway. When you go to
4L, the gears may bind. I shut the engine off then shift The same for
shifting out of 4L. I learned this the hard way. Last winter, I used 4L to
get over some ice. Went to shift back to 4H and the linkage broke because it
wouldnt budge. I was stuck in 4L.
NEVER USE O/D IN 4WD!!!!!!! This will fry your auto tranny!
Never let the truck shift into third when in 4L. Just not a good idea.
4L basically turns your truck into a tractor. If you hit 15+ mph, then you
dont need the torque anymore.
Boog