RE: more a/c

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Sat Jul 24 1999 - 15:07:00 EDT

> in the 90's, humidity at 100% and ozone warnings left and right that
> I finally have to turn on the AC. I had it set on vent on the second
> level and after a bit noticed it was getting warmer in the truck.
> The air coming out of the vents wasn't very cold at all, in fact it
> was bordering on warm, then I turned it on max and the air got
> ice-cold. Kinda weird how that worked. I'll check again today
> because it's supposed to be even warmer....wonderful.
>

> --Maybe the Max-Air closes the fresh air vent door and recirculates the
> cabin air, which will come out much colder?? Anybody know?
> Patrick

Absolutely correct! MAX A/C is basically recirculating the air. But also
with MAX A/C your compressor is on full time and does not cycle on and off.
Not good for MPG.. What I do and worked quite well is when you first get in
(this is the part I hate the most) and open the driver and pass windows(to
let out the hot air), start the truck (I most of the time leave the fan set
to 'low' even without the A/C or heat), put the A/C on to start to force hot
air that is in the ducts out, then close the windows and kick everything
'high' for a few minutes then reset to fan to 'medium'. I've found the truck
cools off faster, and stays cooler. Also keep at least one windows open
about a half inch. Bear in mind automotive A/C is designed to cool 20-30
degrees from the outside air during normal operation. Running MAX A/C
doesn't buy you anything if your driving with your windows wide open ( and
have witnessed folks do this)as it totally defeats the purpose.

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd