Re: Out of gas and dead...

From: bgbeaird@neosoft.com
Date: Sun Jul 25 1999 - 19:49:21 EDT

Kyle, and others,

Most late model vehicles with fuel injection and fuel pumps located in
the gas tank have pumps that use the fuel for lubrication/cooling. If
you run the tank dry, you run the risk of overheating the pump. A common
practice with the Impala SS crowd is to fill up at 1/4 tank. That way,
you guarantee that the pump will remain (mostly) submerged in its cooling
bath of fuel. Some have even noted that they had burned wires in the
tank when they went to replace them, indicating how hot things can get
there. No danger of fire, not enough O2 to do anything, but they were
having to replace an expensive pump.

If you follow the rule of refueling at 1/4 tank, I bet your pumps live a
lot longer. I do this with all our injected cars. Kind of sucks,
though, with a full tank, the SS can go aver 400 miles. I usually stop
at 360. Just my $0.02.

Gene Beaird
98 Flame Red CC R/T
Houston, Texas