Re: 5.2L Vs. 4.7L Question

From: Corey A Meyer (cameyer@bw.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 26 1999 - 12:04:51 EDT

        If I remember correctly, the 4.7 is one of the engines in the
recent movement to create more horsepower from smaller engines. This
results in less torque unfortunately. I'm pretty sure it makes about the
same horsepower as the 5.2...maybe even more. Remember, I'm not positive.
        Personally, I think the 5.2's are time tested and already have all
the goodies ready-made. But, technology moves forward and they would not
replace a time tested engine with a piece of crap. I'm sure these engines
will not suck. I think they sound cool. More horsepower and probably
better gas mileage. I also think that companies will jump on making
aftermarket toys for these engines to be used on Dakotas, Jeeps, and
probably Rams.

        As far as jeeps go, I knew a guy who had a large V8 in a wrangler,
a 350 or something I believe that overtime actually like warped the frame
of the jeep because it couldn't handle the power structurally.