RE: emission laws and stupid crap!

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Fri Jul 30 1999 - 18:46:19 EDT

> I know an air conditioning man when a chemistry degree..don't
> ask. Anyway he
> agrees with what you say about R-12 and has something to add
> about R-13a. It's
> an explosive and very easy to get it to do its thing to. He told
> me if an air
> compressor ever failed and started to heat up it blow up a car
> like a bomb. I
> don't have any proof about this but it did give me something to
> think about.
> BTW, if R-12 is so bad why is the auto industry the only industry
> that uses it
> having to use something else. Youo can't tell me that all of the home and
> commercial a/c systems and the factories that use and even all of
> the refrig's
> that use it don't leak it. Just another opinion.
>
> Jeff durling
> '96 RC Sport

Just for the record...when R-12(Freon) burns it produces phosgene gas as
it's byproduct. Think Cyanide or Chorine gas is bad news, phosgene is just
as worse. Had a couple of firefighters one time fighting a car fire and the
wind shifted and they got a face full of the stuff, next thing you know we
were pumping on 4 firefighters chests to keep them alive. Also on that note
if you ever see a newer car burning stay away from the immediate front and
rear. I've witnessed the bumpers go about a mile down the road when the gas
shocks for the bumpers let loose. Bottom line is if your car or truck is
burning get far and away, let the professionals put it out.

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd
Rahway NJ