Re: Roll pan Questions-Long answers

From: Alan Short (ashort@flash.net)
Date: Sat Jul 31 1999 - 18:42:15 EDT

Bob Mankin wrote:

> SmokinDakota wrote:
> >
> > I shall be getting my roll pan out of the paint shop next week. I was
> > wondering if anyone had fabricated a way to install some license plate
> > lights in the roll pan. I know of the license plate frames with lights in
> > them, but want to actually have a light in the roll pan. Any ideas? Also,
> > how hard is it to install and remove the old bumper?
> >
> > Steven 2me
> > http://www.smokindakota.com
> > AOL IM = SmknDakTrk
> > ICQ = 42763370
>
> Steven,
>
> The two red Daks at the show had similar light setups. You might want to
> ping Gary or Sean for info on what they did. I'd be interested in
> hearing that one myself.
>
> Bob
I put a Street Scene pan on my R/T and used a light housing from Dodge,
designed for their roll pan(same as SS). I'll have to scrounge for the
part #, but it is in the "books" at the parts counter. It's also in the
"Archives" from sometime in late June, in a post about the subject.
I bought it at the Dodge parts counter for 12.00, it uses 1 of 2 factory
bulb/sockets.
The housing slips in between the top of the pan and the top of the
license plate housing from the back side. You have to cut a rectangular
hole for the lens to recess and protude a little. I used a dremel to cut
the opening, drilling the 4 corners and marking the opening with a
razor. I used rtv silicone on either end of the housing, where a screw
would have gone. It bonds well and it's already in a tight location.
The plates:
I centered the plate in the opening and marked the 4 holes with a
marker, then checked them for square & center with a ruler. I used 4
plastic push-in license plate mounting dodads from Pep Boys. I drilled a
hole to the approximate size of the dodad and squared the hole with the
Dremel.
The painted surface takes drilling and cutting pretty well, just be
careful with that Dremel, it can skip out if you go too fast.
Wear some gloves and a dust mask. Glasses wouldn't hurt either, that
fiberglass kicks up some nasty dust. A shop vac can help, if you can rig
it up or have someone vacuum for you while you cut.
                               Alan S.