Re[2]: Calling all Auto Trans Geeks

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Mon Aug 02 1999 - 23:15:23 EDT

Weeelllllll, let me tell ya' about changing the tranny fluid!... If you
absolutely LOVE to make a mess, this puppy is right up your alley! :-) I did
mine myself and I was covered in fluid from the top of my head to my toes. The
good news is, you don't care about how much you spill on the floor (and have to
clean up later) once your covered in it... With that said, I was glad I did it
myself. Why, you ask? I haven't got a clue! :-)

Anyway, I put in Redline C+ synthetic and a new filter when I did mine... I
really haven't noticed any tangible improvement but it just makes me feel
better have a synth in the tranny as I don't have a cooler for it.

As I recall the important things to do was to clean up the pan reeeeaaaaal good
after you have it off (what a pain!), tighten the pan bolts with care to the
correct torque, make sure you have enough fluid and note that if your replacing
the stock metal filter you have to use an additional bolt that's attached to
the tranny (on a '98 anyway)... Other than that the only thing I wished I had
done differently is to install a tranny drain plug while I was at it... Next
time I will do this.

Good luck!
Tom