Re[4]: Calling all Auto Trans Geeks

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Fri Aug 06 1999 - 09:41:11 EDT

Uh Oh! When your covered in ATF fluid and cussing up a storm, just
remember I warned ya'! :-)

I checked last night for the part numbers but no joy... I must have thrown
it out. Check the glovebox for which tranny you have and the parts guy
*should* be able to get the right filter and gasket. If you go to a Dodge
dealership they will give you a cork gasket. I used it and so far there is
no problem but I've heard there are better gaskets available --your call.
I did use some tranny safe gasket sealer though.

Your list is complete. I'd recommend finding an attachment for your drill
that will scrape off the old gasket stuff from the pan. Otherwise it will
be hours of fun! ;-) As far as old gasket gunk on the tranny housing, your
gonna have to get that off the old fashioned way.

For the filter, keep in mind the replacement will look nothing like the OEM
piece (the OEM has a metal housing while the replacement is all soft filter
material). There is a mounting bolt screwed into the tranny that is not
used for the OEM piece but is used for the replacement... You'll see it
once you get the OEM filter off.

Mine took six and a smidgen quarts of ATF... Take your time though and
don't overfill it. Make sure you get up to operating temp. and shift
through all the gears when you do your final check.

Finally --the bands. What I was told is if your tranny is performing well
and there is no noticeable problems at all, don't mess with the bands.
YMMV. I wasn't having any problems with my tranny so I didn't adjust the
bands. If your gonna give it a try you will need a special tool to reach
the nuts and an inch-lbs torque wrench. One of the band adjustment nuts
are inside the tranny and the other is outside on the housing.

I guess that's about it except to remember to where old clothes --or better
yet, no clothes at all! (Your neighbors will really love that! :-)
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Good luck.
Tom