Re: Gas Mileage

From: BoogYT1300@aol.com
Date: Tue Aug 10 1999 - 06:50:45 EDT

In a message dated 8/9/99 8:39:15 PM EST, comstck@netins.net writes:

> To make a long story short, I average probably 14 mpg. I usually
> use 89 octane which here in Iowa is an ethanol(sp?) blend. At the
> recommendation of another Dakota owner I replaced the factory air
> filter with a K&N filter, probably in April. I also replaced the
> factory plugs with those new Bosch 4 headed platinum plugs. My
> goal... better gas mileage. While I do think I achieved more
> horsepower, or smoother shifting I have not seen better gas mileage.
>
> What octane should I be using?
> Can I realistically expect better gas mileage?
>
> I guess I'm hoping to be educated by this group. I'm sure this
> issue has been hashed and rehashed several times so if it is
> appropriate, please feel free to email your replies to me personally.
> Keep in mind that I am not by any means a mechanic. However I would
> really like to become more knowledgeable about my truck.
>
> TIA,
>

> Scott
> 97 Sport CC V8/318 4x4 Flame Red

Scott
I have a 92 dak 318 4x4 and the best I have seen is 15-16 city, but most of
the time its 13-14. Hwy I have seen almost 23MPG.
I have the MP SBEC (not an option for you yet), JBA headers, KNN FIPK, and
Magnaflow muffler, and Magnecor wires.
I think the best mod for gas milage was the wires. Before I used Autolite
carbon supressed/silicone wound wires. I would go through a set in a year
(they would cross fire). Go to www.magnecor.com and read up on these wires.
Then talk to Patrick at R&D performance (he is on the DML as Kubuki2.<--think
thats right). He can get you a good price on a set. I beleve that the wires
helped the most. Also, check your distributor cap and rotor frequently, I
have found that my truck goes through them in about 3-4 months. And I'm
using a Borg Warner brass cap and rotor. Also, try getting a tonneau cover
for the bed. This will help alot especially with wind you guys have out
there. I know, I used to live in SD.
hope this helps!
Boog