Re: Camshaft Re: anybody with experience on intake porting?

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Aug 10 1999 - 13:32:17 EDT

At 12:28 PM 8/10/99 EDT, you wrote:
>how much did it all come out to? how was the performance gained from that??

I purchased the parts in Ontario (CDN @ jobber's price). I suggest that
you go to the Koller's Dodge site, plug in each part number and see what
a pretty good U.S. would be.

Prior to installation, my personal best was 15.4 e.t. (not corrected).
After installation, it has been improved upon 5 times by hundredths
of a second on a 97F heat and 118F humidex day. There hasn't been
an opportunity for me to see what it can do on a cool, dry day.

You should know that this cam is just one part of the MP Magnum R/T package.
Other parts are flee-flow air intake, headers, cat-back and the key
part, a MP hi-po. computer. Gains/improvements must be evaluated on
the basis of the whole package not the individual parts.

The cam, by itself, will increase hp and torque but moves it up on the
rpm scale ... in my case, I believe, from my track runs, that peak torque
is now at around 3300 rpm (up from about 3000 rpm) and peak horsepower is
at about 4800 rpm (up from about 4000 rpm). A Dakota, with the cam and other
similar performance parts, was dynoed by Mopar Muscle with peaks of 225 hp
and 297 ft-lb torque at the rear wheels.

The lifters (which come with the cam) and the MP valve springs and retainers
allow the engine to run safety at about 6300 rpm. The MP computer does
away with
the speed limiter and moves the rev limiter to about 6300 rpm.

I think that I have found, through trial and error, the optimum launch rpm
and shift points for my setup, considering my weight, tires and gear ratio.
I'm now just waiting for the cool, dry day. My hope is 14.9s and my gut
feeling is 15.0-15.1 sec.

Bob
Burlington, Ontario

'97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55, auto., 4x2, flame red