Re: 97-99 lift kit

From: james owens (jimga98@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 10 1999 - 21:33:36 EDT

I own a 98 4x4 cc that is Rancho's first installation. My truck is
being monitored for quality and integrity of the parts for Rancho by
the installation shop. The installation was a 4 day job because every
time they did something they took a picture of it with a digital camera
and sent it to the Rancho Technical people.

 This coming Monday I have to bring it in for the first 500 mile check
up after installation. Everything is great the truck handles BETTER
than ever. I upgraded to the RANCHO RSX shocks with the kit.

GUESS I BETTER GO HAVE THE 33X12.5 BFG AT TIRES REMOVED BECAUSE JOHN
SAID THEY DON'T FIT. (THOSE HAVE 500 MILES ON THEM TOO).

as far as i can tell you should only get the trailmaster kit for the
following reasons.
1) you don't want to spend another $300
2) you aren't really going off road but wanna look like it. with those
big brackets hanging down between the wheel and the pumpkin you aren't
going any where without banging them or becoming a motorized rake with
all the brush that will be hanging up on them.
3) you are good at fabricating home made fixes.
4) you want 2 more inches (see DML quote below)

It appears that once again an important point was missed in replying to
this persons question --which is ground clearance. This is the post
the other DML'R left which i think says a lot

overcome before off roading it. If not, there will be significant
damage done.
Trust me,> it happened. (Off course, you'll be told that off roading
the kit will invalidate the warranty, so I guess they only want to
sell it to yuppies looking for tall trucks in their suburban
driveways.)>
> The most glaring and ridiculous flaw of the kit is that if you
don't install larger tires you will LOOSE ground clearance. And right
in the spot you've trained yourself to put all those rocks, logs, and
stumps,between your tire and your pumpkin. The worst spot to loose
clearance. Also there is a bracket that is much too small, and so its
attachment to the truck is much too weak.