s-bolts....nuteaters...

From: r (charger69rt@inficad.com)
Date: Tue Aug 10 1999 - 17:42:31 EDT

Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 20:51:27 EDT
From: Blbridges@aol.com
Subject: S bolts..Re: DML: Those who mod TBs.....

In a message dated 8/10/1999 4:27:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
N2mopars@aol.com writes:

<< Yep, there was a guy who did that. Same week mine broke, luckily
mine
stayed
 attached to the air cleaner and T/B.

 Brad

S bolts can work fine, but I am a proponent of modified stock hardware
(nice
strong un bent hardened bolts)... Flip the stock assembly, knock off or
bend
the "tang" flat, and add a longer bolt to now top end of the hold
down...(pics on the DML site under BBridges attachments) You do need to
double nut and loctite if possible the assembly to make sure your engine
doesnt eat nuts though...it has happened.
Bruce

Great advice...

My 92 Dak was one of them "nut eaters", actually bolt eater,(the 1/4-20
bolt
that use to hold the bracket to the throttle body.That bolt was retained with
a tinnerman washer that I thot in conjunction with the wing nut would be
a double
safeguard.It was not, the tinnerman washer was still on top of the
upside down
air cleaner bracket...the little bolt visited 4 of the exhaust valves
and also
bent 4 push rods.

I built a s-bolt from 1/4-20 brass with as gradual bend as possible. A ny-lock
style nut secures it to the throttle body.

An open element air cleaner was being used until my son drove through
water deep
enough to kill the engine, then restarted the engine and blew the head gaskets...

Pulling the engine down twice in two months was some what aggravating.

A modified TB is on the top of my must do list...all the offerings look great.

rob