Re: RE: Legal matters (speeding!)

From: Mel Janousek (superskunk@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Aug 12 1999 - 03:18:40 EDT

Sorry to tell you this Dester, but here in Ga. it is not required that the
recipient of the ticket sign it. There were times when I used to work on uniform
traffic/D.U.I. patrol when I did not get a signature from the individual because
of another call or emergency I needed to respond to. However, I was required to
offer the person a test of the calibration of the radar unit, with the tuning
forks, but this didn't have to be in their presence (Don't ask me why, that's
just the way the law was written). It was not required to show then their speed
locked in on the radar unit. I would, for my own personal reasons, advise them of
the test requirements, and give them the opportunity to see their speed locked in
on the unit. I don't think I ever had a person see their speed on the unit, and
then request a test of the unit.

I don't know the website's name, but there is one that will show you all the
updated laws for your state. I'm not giving you any "hidden" secret that any
other private citizen isn't privy to. Look for your state laws on-line, in the
public library, or at your courthouse (most have a law library available). I
wouldn't advise quoting Case Law on the side of the road, but it's up to you to
be educated on the citation you received before you go to court. I had another
DML member ask me about a seatbelt law, and they looked it up on-line, and also
found out some of the ridiculous laws on the books, as well as finding out the
requirements that are needed to be met before charging someone with different
offenses.

Hope this helps,

  Mel Janousek

  www.superskunks.com