Is this my rear-end?

From: Michael & Jeannine Reynolds (jeanninemike@fuse.net)
Date: Sat Aug 14 1999 - 12:30:50 EDT

Hello DML:

I know that I'm leaving myself open to alot of "cute" comments, but my '98
Dakota 4X4 CC with a 318 and 3.55 gears has developed a whine from the rear
end. The whine is in a very narrow band of 54-56 mph and it will subside if
I completely let off the accelerator. I have almost 21k on my original set
of Goodyear RTS (I have the 31" alloy wheels) and they are starting to make
some tire whine noises at about 30mph. The tires themselves have been
rotated every 5-6k and seem to be wearing evenly. Do you think that this
whine is the tires or the rear end? What do you suggest I try to
differentiate between the two potential causes? Thanks in advance for any
advice!!!

P.S.

I was at my dealer earlier this week, and I was surprised that he had quite
a few 2000 Dakotas. All but one had the 4.7 liter. I didn't see any R/T's
though.

Michael Reynolds
'98 Dakota CC 4X4
5.2L Flame Red