Re: Is this my rear-end?

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat Aug 14 1999 - 16:40:16 EDT

At 12:30 PM 8/14/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I know that I'm leaving myself open to alot of "cute" comments, but my '98
>Dakota 4X4 CC with a 318 and 3.55 gears has developed a whine from the rear
>end. The whine is in a very narrow band of 54-56 mph and it will subside if
>I completely let off the accelerator. I have almost 21k on my original set
>of Goodyear RTS (I have the 31" alloy wheels) and they are starting to make
>some tire whine noises at about 30mph. The tires themselves have been
>rotated every 5-6k and seem to be wearing evenly. Do you think that this
>whine is the tires or the rear end? What do you suggest I try to
>differentiate between the two potential causes? Thanks in advance for any
>advice!!!

Mike

My tires and rear axle would whine too on 31" alloy wheels (sorry, the devil
made me do it).

If you have a friend/buddy with a '97+ Dakota and he/she is willing to let
you try their tires in place of your two rears, that could isolate the problem
for you.

Other than that, I would take it in to a garage you have faith in.

Bob
Burlington, Ontario

'97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55, auto., 4x2, flame red