RE: Oil consumption

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Tue Aug 17 1999 - 22:05:15 EDT

> My 94 V6 has been consuming about a quart of oil every 1500-2000 miles.
> Should I be concerned, or is this normal? I have not spotted any spots
> underneath, so I assume it is being burned. I have not had a chance to
> remove the plugs and check for fouling, but that is my next course of
> action. The engine has 62,000 miles on it. Also, has anyone run into any
> problems with using fuel-injector/intake valve cleaners such as Castle
> Fireball?
> Christopher Scott

I'd say you have a problem there kid. I have 54k on my 95 6'er, and I don't
burn a drop of oil. He's what you do... Get out on the highway, stomp on the
gas, if you get a cloud of smoke then something is up with you valve train.
If no smoke get up to 60-65 and let off the gas completely, if you got smoke
then I forsee a ring job in your future. If you get no smoke on either test
start checking the underside of the truck. You may have oil leaking only
when running. I had an oil pan gasket go out like that once, only when the
gasket really went did I get the leaking oil on the pavement. The underside
of the truck was clean (go figure). Another thing to check is your PCV
valve. COuld be stuck open. Just a few of my thoughts....

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd