Re:Oil consumption

From: r (charger69rt@inficad.com)
Date: Tue Aug 17 1999 - 16:46:19 EDT

 -----Original Message-----

Hi List

My late dad use to say if the oil was still at full after 3000 miles that
it had been replaced by something else.

A healthy engine has to use some oil to keep the rings in good condition.

Oil sucked up by a bad intake floor gasket or valve-seal leakage could also
contribute.But over 2000 miles an unlikely problem.

The no-lead gas conditions may have made my dad's statements obsolete, but
at the same time a quart per 2000 miles is surely nothing to panic about.

Also over 2000 miles the amount of oil used per mile is very
small....hardly
the clouds of smoke behind you kind of thing......

When I boought my 1969 charger in 1972 it was using about a quart per
1000
miles.....the dealer told me the factory considered a quart per 500 was
standard used even for new vehicles.....

Here again that's years and beers ago.......

My 92 dak was about a quart down after 3000....but it is run hard and
put
away wet....so to speak.....

my cent and a half worth....

rob lipinski