Re: Re: Re: 318 - 360 engine difference

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Aug 18 1999 - 08:08:55 EDT

At 05:58 PM 8/17/99 EDT, you wrote:
>You've just given me an idea for another great mod, any idea how much for
>the short block ? Thanks, Ted O.

>In a message dated 8/17/99 8:51:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>gary.shook@wcom.com writes:
>> so if you're trying to upgrade a 5.2 to a 5.9, really all you need is
>> a short block, and move your heads, intake & TB over from the 5.2..

In mopar mags, short block Magnum 5.9L assemblies are advertised for about
$1300 U.S. ... I assume that this means all the internals are included.

If you bought one of these assemblies ($1300) and move the existing top end
parts from your Magnum 5.2L (no cost), what would the end result be? Larry
Shepherd who writes the Factory Connection column in Mopar Muscle says that
there's only a 15-20hp improvement from a 5.2 to a 5.9, and that most of
this gain is due to a better exhaust system on 5.9. You would have the
increased torque which comes from the longer stroke in the 5.9 block though.
I would also guess that, in order to bring the improvement out, you'd also
have to use the 5.9 PCM. At best, for the cost of the 5.9L block, computer
and exhaust system, you'd equal the power output of the 5.9.

On the other hand, if you added the Magnum R/T package (cam, hi-po computer,
valve springs, retainers, headers, cat-back, dropin K&N) to your existing
5.2L ($1300-$1500), you would end up with 275-285 hp at the crank, 25-35hp
more than the stock 5.9 and about 370ft lb of torque at the crank, about
30-40 more than the stock 5.9.

Just another possible option to consider although with a SC you'd have to
pass on the hi-po computer (retard timing rather than advance timing).

Bob
Burlington, Ontario

'97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55, auto., 4x2, flame red