RE: Re: (no subject) LSD's/Lockers

From: McKinney, John R. MHX (McKinJr@hpd.abbott.com)
Date: Wed Aug 18 1999 - 14:15:29 EDT

Just a word of warning on the Lock Right lockers. I personally would only
recommend a Lock Right for off-road (4X4) use only and then, only in an
automatic if you intend to leave it in the vehicle permanently. I have a
Lock Right for my 98 (it's a 9 1/4) with a 5 spd. I say "for my 98"
because I don't keep it "installed in the truck". It's very annoying on the
pavement with a 5spd, clicking, popping and bucking when you drive slow
through parking lots and turns. Since it only takes me less than and hour
to install, I just put it in whenever I go on a wheeling trip. If you want
a locker for off road like me, I'll be getting a Detroit full-case C-locker
in a couple of months because it's indestructible and the Lock Rights, 33"
tires and 5 spd's don't mix, not for very long at least.

On a 2WD that is used for street driving/racing, I'd personally stick with a
limited slip set-up. There are some very rugged units out there that can be
set up tight if you need it to be.

BTW-- Lock Right now say's "a few months" on the locker for the 8 1/4 rear.
When I asked if it would be like 6 months, the guy says "gee, I hope not,
we've had tons of requests".

John McKinney